- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
Tottenham transfers: Villas-Boas doubts summer swoop for Damiao
Tottenham transfers: André Villas-Boas says Spurs are unlikely to make a summer move to sign Internacional striker Leandro Damiao
André Villas-Boas says that Tottenham Hotspur are unlikely to make a summer swoop for Internacional forward Leandro Damiao.
The 23-year-old has been heavily linked with a move Spurs over the past 18 months, but the north London club failed with a reported £16m bid on deadline day.
And Villas-Boas, who failed to bring in a striker to provide cover for Emmanuel Adebayor and Jermain Defoe, doubts the Brazilian will move to White Hart Lane in the near future.
“The player has been linked recently with Spurs, we’ve made it public before that it’s a player that we chase, but we couldn’t agree on the full conditions so we’ve moved on,” said Villas-Boas.
“Could it [a deal for Damiao] happen in the summer? No I don’t think so, it’s probably finished now.”
The 35-year-old also revealed Reading failed in a last-ditch bid to sign struggling Tottenham midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.
“Obviously he’s a player that means a lot to Reading, from their academy,” added Villas-Boas.
“He’s a player that Brian [McDermott] appreciates and he probably could have been a big boost for them. But he’s a player that we rate very highly, we couldn’t allow him to leave.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool unveil new signing Origi
- Origi: Mignolet says Liverpool is perfect for me
- Rodgers: Origi one of world's brightest talents
- Origi vows to 'maximise' Liverpool chance
- Photos: Man Utd squad meet tennis stars