- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring—but also fresh promise
- Photos: Novak Djokovic marries Jelena Ristic
- Roger Federer: fanning the flames in both victory or defeat
- US Open 2014: Li Na pulls out of Flushing Meadows
- Sampras & Agassi reminisce on old rivalry: ‘He was the best I ever played’
- ATP World Tour Finals tickets: Demand surges after Novak Djokovic win
Victoria Azarenka pulls out of Dubai Open with foot injury
World No2 Victoria Azarenka withdraws from this week's Dubai Duty Free Championships with a foot injury
Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from this week’s Dubai Duty Free Championships with a foot injury.
The world No2 suffered a bone bruise in her right heel during last week’s Qatar Open Premier in Doha and confirmed her decision to pull out of this week’s tournament on Tuesday.
Azarenka, who beat Serena Williams in three sets in Sunday’s final to win the Doha title, said: “I have been playing a lot of tennis over the last five days – so going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. It keeps getting worse.”
She added: “The game has become so physical and it takes so much out of you that sometimes you just need a break. These little things just give you a warning that you have to take care of yourself.
“You play five days in a row against the world’s top players and two days later you have to start playing all those matches again. Sometimes it is too much.”
Azarenka also pulled out of last year’s tournament in Dubai through injury without playing a match.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring
- Li pulls out of US Open due to knee problem
- Williams going through 'difficult period'
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Tickets and information
- Djokovic marries his childhood sweetheart