- US Open 2014: ‘Beloved’ Roger Federer holds tennis in the palm of his hand
- US Open 2014: Maria Sharapova gets ‘goosebumps’ after opening win
- US Open preview: Will Sharapova & Williams race to first New York showdown?
- US Open 2014: Verdasco’s 400th win just one more shout for over-30s
- Cincinnati Masters 2014: Maria Sharapova impressed by Madison Keys
- US Open 2014: Maria Sharapova wary of ‘dangerous’ Maria Kirilenko
Victoria Azarenka pulls out of Dubai Open with foot injury
World No2 Victoria Azarenka withdraws from this week's Dubai Duty Free Championships with a foot injury
Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from this week’s Dubai Duty Free Championships with a foot injury.
The world No2 suffered a bone bruise in her right heel during last week’s Qatar Open Premier in Doha and confirmed her decision to pull out of this week’s tournament on Tuesday.
Azarenka, who beat Serena Williams in three sets in Sunday’s final to win the Doha title, said: “I have been playing a lot of tennis over the last five days – so going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. It keeps getting worse.”
She added: “The game has become so physical and it takes so much out of you that sometimes you just need a break. These little things just give you a warning that you have to take care of yourself.
“You play five days in a row against the world’s top players and two days later you have to start playing all those matches again. Sometimes it is too much.”
Azarenka also pulled out of last year’s tournament in Dubai through injury without playing a match.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Azarenka confident after first-round battle
- Verdasco’s 400th win another shout for over-30s
- Watson’s hopes dashed again
- Sharapova gets 'goosebumps' after win
- Konta rues missed opportunities