West Brom slam unprofessional Peter Odemwingie after deadline day drama

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace says Peter Odemwingie acted "wholly unprofessionally" on a dramatic deadline day

The Sport Review staff
By    
peter odemwingie
Steve Clarke took over from Roy Hodgson at West Brom over the summer Photo: Soccer.ru

peter odemwingie

West Bromwich Albion have described Peter Odemwingie’s behaviour as wholly unprofessional after the striker attempted to open talks with Queens Park Rangers without the Baggies’ permission.

The Nigeria international arrived at Loftus Road on Thursday evening, hoping to secure a move to the Hoops, but West Brom insisted no fee had been agreed for the forward.

Furthermore, the Baggies had not given Odemwingie permission to discuss personal terms with QPR, with the striker ultimately staying put at the Hawthorns.

“Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally,” said West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace on transfer deadline day.

“This evening’s developments have brought a conclusion to what has been an unsavoury affair.

“As our sporting and technical director Richard Garlick has repeatedly said in recent days, we had no need or desire to sell our core players.

“The only way we would have considered letting Peter leave was if an acceptable offer was forthcoming and if we had found a suitable replacement at relatively short notice.

“Neither materialised and, in the end, the matter became a point of principle as much as anything.”

Peace added: “He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments.”

QPR and West Brom had engaged in talks about Odemwingie’s possible sale on Thursday, but the Premier League clubs failed to reach an agreement.

Odemwingie arrived in west London hoping to finalise a deal but was not allowed to enter the premises, and Hoops manager Harry Redknapp said the incident was a “mistake”.

“It was unfortunate really. Wires got crossed somewhere,” Redknapp told BBC Sport.

“We were trying to sign him and the lad thought a fee had been agreed between the two clubs. It hadn’t – there was still some haggling going on

“He’s a good lad – it was just a mistake. That one is dead.”

MORE: Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas

MORE: 20 Chelsea targets Conte could sign to replace Terry

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Back to The Sport Review homepage

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

Slideshow
The Sport Review
Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas
The Sport Review
Top 50 most stylish footballers in the world in 2017: Chelsea, Arsenal stars feature – Slideshow
The Sport Review
20 Chelsea transfer targets Antonio Conte could sign in the summer
The Sport Review
Top 25 Muslim football players in Premier League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal WAGs 2017: Meet Granit Xhaka, Shkodran Mustafi and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s wives and girlfriends
The Sport Review
Roberto Firmino: 25 photos of the Liverpool forward’s stunning wife
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Man United plot £173m offer for Barcelona striker – report
The Sport Review
Miami Open 2017: After years apart, Roger Federer takes down old adversary Juan Martin del Potro
The Sport Review
Insider reveals how much reported Man United target will cost