- Photo: Mesut Özil thanks Arsenal fans for their support
- Photo: Arsenal legend Robert Pires enjoys dinner with Olivier Giroud
- Ian Wright: Arsenal’s point at Leicester doesn’t look bad now!
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fàbregas lifts lid on his relationship with Arsène Wenger
- Neville, Robson & more: Twitter reacts as Leicester stun Man Utd
- Sturridge & more: Twitter reacts as Lampard scores AGAINST Chelsea
Chelsea need Europa League triumph to show progress, says Ruud Gullit
Former Chelsea star Ruud Gullit says the Blues must win the Europa League to help tee them up for a successful 2013-14 campaign
Ruud Gullit insists that Chelsea need to perform in this season’s Europa League if they want to make progress next term.
Chelsea have endured a season to forget after being dumped out of the Champions League at the group stage, while their form in the English top flight has been inconsistent at best.
But the Dutchman, who was a player-manager at Stamford Bridge in the mid 1990s, believes that lifting the trophy in Amsterdam in May would put Chelsea in good stead for next season.
“Chelsea have to do well. The Europa League is a stepping stone for teams to do well later on in the Champions League,” Gullit is quoted as saying by the Sun.
“The Champions League is obviously a higher level but it is important for any team to have other experiences in Europe as well.
Steaua Bucharest will host Chelsea on Thursday in the last-16 of Europe’s second tier competition.
Interim manager Rafael Benítez, who is enjoying time out of the media spotlight after last week’s public outburst at the Riverside, is expected to play a weakened side despite Gullit’s words.
Victor Moses and Ramires have both been rested for the tie and with Demba Ba cup-tied, Fernando Torres is likely to start up front.
If, as expected, Benítez does leave at the end of the season, Gullit, 50, has an inkling that José Mourinho will return to his former club – even if Chelsea win the Europa League.
“My feeling says that Mourinho is coming back, that is my gut instinct.” said Gullit, speaking to The Sun on Wednesday.
“I don’t know if that is true but it is my feeling.”
Steaua Bucharest v Chelsea: Pre-match facts
• Chelsea’s only previous encounters with Romanian opposition came in the 2008-09 Champions League group stage, where they drew 0-0 away then won 2-1 at home against Cluj.
• Chelsea’s Juan Mata could make his 50th Uefa club competition appearance – he has scored 12 goals in his previous 49.
• Chelsea’s next goal will be their 300th in Uefa competition.
• Rafael Benítez has been in charge of 132 Uefa club competition games – more than any other coach in this season’s round of 16.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
Read more on...
Photo: Romelu Lukaku urges Everton to ‘stick together’ after Palace loss7 mins ago Football
Photo: Tottenham’s Roberto Soldado fighting for ‘better future’18 mins ago Football
Man Utd’s shocking defending reminds me of Brazil, says Tony Cascarino28 mins ago Football
Gary Neville sees the funny side of Man Utd’s poor defending34 mins ago Football
No issues with Diego Costa’s temperament, insists Chelsea legend49 mins ago Football
Raheem Sterling: Liverpool need to get back to basics and winning ways1 hour ago Football
Juan Mata apologises to Man Utd fans after 5-3 defeat at Leicester1 hour ago Football
Jamie Carragher can’t understand why Man Utd didn’t sign top centre-half2 hours ago Football
Arsenal manager plays down Danny Welbeck-Thierry Henry comparisons2 hours ago Football
Liverpool have a phobia of set-pieces, claims former Reds midfielder2 hours ago Football
Redknapp: Van Gaal needs to prove he is a genius & sort Man Utd defence2 hours ago Football
Video: Man City’s Yaya Touré gives Chelsea’s Eden Hazard clip round ear!2 hours ago Football
Photos: John Terry and Eden Hazard reflect on Chelsea’s draw at Man City3 hours ago Football
Transfer round-up: Arsenal agree £11m Khedira deal, Liverpool want Hart3 hours ago Football
Photo: Chelsea’s André Schürrle thanks Eden Hazard for ‘amazing assist’11 hours ago Football
Photo: West Ham defender poses with Russell Brand after Liverpool win14 hours ago Football
Photo: Pablo Zabaleta can’t believe Chelsea’s Diego Costa didn’t see red15 hours ago Football
Man City 1 Chelsea 1: Player ratings as James Milner impresses16 hours ago Football
Man City 1 Chelsea 1: Four talking points as Frank Lampard strikes16 hours ago Football
Soft-centred Man Utd must be more competitive, says Gary Neville16 hours ago Football