- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Chelsea’s Frank Lampard ‘very proud’ to set England goal record
Frank Lampard says he is very proud to become the Three Lions' highest-scoring midfielder after netting in a 8-0 win over San Marino
Frank Lampard says he is “very proud” to become England’s highest-scoring midfielder after netting in an 8-0 victory over San Marino on Friday.
Lampard captained Roy Hodgson’s men in the absence of Steven Gerrard, and the Blues star is hoping to play a part in Tuesday’s clash against Group H leaders Montenegro.
“It feels very good to be England’s highest midfield goalscorer. I’m very proud of that achievement,” said Lampard.
“All my career, I’ve looked to score goals. It was great to be up there with the likes of the Bryan Robsons and the David Platts.
“Now I am above them and it was also an honour as always to wear the armband for your country. Stevie will be back on Tuesday so he will take it, but I am really pleased with how I played.”
Hodgson rested regular England starters such as Ashley Cole, Gerrard, Glen Johnson and Danny Welbeck for the San Marino victory – and Lampard praised a weakened Three Lions side for disposing of the Group H minnows in style.
“We worked all week hard to concentrate on this game and then we could move on to the next one afterwards,” he added.
“We said if we approached it in the right way, then we would have no problems and that is what happened.
“Everyone who played did themselves a favour. Everyone turned up but Montenegro is a different game so we might approach it in a slightly different way.
“It was a great confidence boost for us to score so many goals. Whoever is asked, will be ready on Tuesday.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place
- Rooney thrilled by Falcao arrival
- Özil marks anniversary of Arsenal move
- Kagawa and Liverpool legend seal German moves