- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
Chelsea transfers: Atlético’s Simeone hints at summer move for Torres
Chelsea transfers: Atlético boss Diego Simeone hints at a summer move to bring Fernando Torres back to the Vicente Calderón
Diego Simeone has hinted that Atlético Madrid could make a move to bring Chelsea striker Fernando Torres back to the Vicente Calderón in the summer.
The Spain international has continued to struggle for form this season, managing a modest 16 goals in 49 appearances in all competitions, after completing a record £50m move from Liverpool in 2011.
Chelsea have been heavily linked with a swoop for Atlético’s prolific Colombia international Radamel Falcao, who scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win against the Blues in the Uefa Super Cup back in August.
Simeone has previously stated his desire to keep Falcao but the Atlético manager says he would be interested in a deal to bring the 29-year-old Chelsea forward back to the Spanish capital.
“Fernando Torres is currently playing for another team. We have to wait for the season to finish and decide which of the available players could come here and do a good job,” the Atlético coach told Onda Cero.
“Fernando knows about the club’s history, what it means to play here and I don’t need to speak about his ability.
“We were team-mates [from 2003 until 2005]. I know how important he can be.”
Torres scored 91 goals in 243 appearances for Atlético Madrid before completing a move to Liverpool in a £20m deal in 2007.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Ricky who? Sterling had to Google Rodgers joke
- Redknapp: Borini's wage demands prevented deal
- Lamela wishes Sandro 'all the best' at QPR
- Özil backs Welbeck to net plenty of Arsenal goals
- Welbeck to wear number 23 shirt for Arsenal