- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
It’s nonsense! Chris Samba says QPR move not motivated by money
QPR defender Chris Samba says it is "nonsense" to suggest his move to the west London outfit was motivated by money
Chris Samba says it is “nonsense” to suggest the defender’s move to Queens Park Rangers was motivated by money.
The 28-year-old has made four Premier League appearances for the Hoops after completing a club-record £12.5m switch to the west London side from Anzhi Makhachkala in the January transfer window.
Samba was initially reported to be on £100,000-a-week wages, but Redknapp denied the speculation, and the Congo international says he took a pay cut to join the west London side.
He told QPR’s website: “If the move was motivated by money, why would I leave Anzhi were I had three years left with a great deal of money and take a pay cut to come here?
“It wouldn’t be a great business decision. People can talk but they don’t know the details of the story. It’s nonsense.”
Samba also admitted he was surprised to see the Hoops struggling at the foot of the table bearing in mind the quality in the squad.
“There’s been a great amount of money spent on players. Quality had been added to the squad. I’m surprised because the team should be in mid-table,” he added.
“They got people like Harry and bought players like Loïc Rémy.
“When you see the squad, there are big players from Real Madrid and Marseille. Adel is a magician.
“So there are good players and I wanted to join. I couldn’t believe we are at the bottom. I was ready to come here to help and I believed QPR could get out of the mess and that’s why I wanted to come here.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place