- Chinese Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull to reduce use of team orders
- Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull
- Belgian Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel thrilled to win ‘fantastic’ race
- Lewis Hamilton: Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso ‘deserves’ to win world title
- Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Sebastian Vettel sneaks to victory
- Max Chilton: A Formula 1 pay driver or a sponsorship gold mine?
F1 testing: Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton tops timesheets in Barcelona
F1 testing: Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton posts the fastest time at the Circuit de Catalunya ahead of Ferrari's Felipe Massa
Lewis Hamilton admitted his delight at finally getting some dry track time under his belt as the Mercedes driver set an impressive pace on the penultimate day of pre-season testing in Barcelona.
Mercedes’ Hamilton clocked a one minute 20.558 seconds – the fastest time of the winter testing so far and 0.708 seconds clear of Ferrari’s Felipe Massa in second as the weather held out after a wet few days.
“It was great to have a dry track today for my final day of testing, and we were able to get through all the test items that we wanted to achieve by the end of my programme,” said Hamilton, who completed 117 laps on Saturday, equivalent to 545 kilometres.
“There’s still a lot of work ahead of us to get to where we want to be but the team is doing a great job. The guys are working so hard at the factory and here at the track; it’s been really nice to get to know everyone in the garage and how they work together over the past few weeks.
“The reliability, the mileage and the step-by-step improvements that we have achieved during the three tests are all very encouraging. Whilst we’ve been focusing on our own performance, we definitely haven’t seen the full potential of our competitors yet, so it’s difficult to predict where we might be.
“I’ll be back at the factory next week doing some final preparation work on the simulator and with my engineers, and then it’s off to Melbourne for the first race of the new season with my new team.”
Final pre-season test – Fastest times
1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) Mercedes 1:20.558
2. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:21.266
3. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Mercedes 1:21.627
4. Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams-Renault 1:22.305
5. Valtteri Bottas (Fin) Williams-Renault 1:22.468
6. Esteban Gutierrez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.553
7. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:22.658
8. Sergio Perez (Mex) McLaren-Mercedes 1:22.694
9. Jean-Eric Vergne (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:23.223
10. Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus-Renault 1:23.380
11. Davide Valsecchi (Ita) Lotus-Renault 1:23.448
12. Jules Bianchi (Fra) Marussia-Cosworth 1:24.028
13. Giedo van der Garde (Ned) Caterham-Renault 1:24.520◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Read more on...
Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull3 weeks ago Formula 1
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso: I have power over my F1 future3 weeks ago Formula 1
Brundle, Glock and more: Twitter reacts to Vettel’s Red Bull departure3 weeks ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel set to swap Red Bull for Ferrari3 weeks ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen: I drove ‘within limits’ on my Formula 1 debut3 weeks ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’2 months ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium2 months ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0002 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg2 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole2 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton2 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost2 months ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles2 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish3 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole3 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe3 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix3 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton vows to race through pain after German Grand Prix crash3 months ago Formula 1