- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Man Utd transfers: Thomas Müller confirms Red Devils snub
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Red Devils only need two new top players’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal step up Khedira bid, Man Utd to sign Alonso
Liverpool’s Carragher not having second thoughts about retirement
Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher reiterates his plans to retire at the end of the season despite a recent purple patch
Jamie Carragher insists that he has not had any second thoughts about his retirement plans at the end of the season.
The 35-year-old Liverpool defender has earned plenty of plaudits in recent weeks for a string of eye-catching displays after announcing his intention to call time on a decorated career back in February.
Carragher has started Liverpool’s last nine games in all competitions, playing a key role in clean sheets against Swansea and Wigan Athletic.
And the former England international is determined to finish his career on a high, ending talk of playing on for another season.
“I made my decision and nothing that’s happened since has changed my mind about that,” Carragher told the Liverpool Echo.
“I’ve not had any second thoughts just because things are going well.
“People say because I’m playing I should carry on for another year. But in fact being back in the team only confirms for me that I’ve made the right decision.
“I want to go out on a high, proving I can still perform at that level. I want to stay in the team for the rest of the season and help the club get as many wins as possible – that’s my target. I can’t think of a better way to go out.
“Obviously the previous 12 months had been difficult in terms of starting games. You never lose that buzz of wanting to play every week and I’m delighted to be back in the side.
“I could play on for another season but the fact is the club will be buying players in my position in the summer and I can’t go back to being a substitute again.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- 'Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea'
- Wenger: Ramsey can be better than Fàbregas
- Smith surprised by Liverpool's Balotelli bid
- 'Liverpool should sign Falcao or Reus'
- Scholes: Fàbregas perfect for Man Utd