- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
‘Carrick and Rafael running Van Persie close for Man Utd award’
Bryan Robson says Michael Carrick and Rafael Da Silva are running Robin van Persie close in Man Utd's Player of the Season race
Bryan Robson believes Michael Carrick and Rafael Da Silva are running Robin van Persie close in the race to be named Manchester United’s Player of the Season.
But Robson, who won two Premier League titles with United, lavished praise on midfielder Carrick for the England international’s quietly influential displays.
And the former England skipper also reckons Rafael has been one of the club’s standout players in a coming-of-age season for the right-back.
“In my mind, there are three players right up there in the reckoning,” he told United Review.
“Obviously, the way Robin van Persie has come into the club from Arsenal and the way he has played makes him a strong candidate, but I believe Michael Carrick and Rafael are both running him very close.
“Michael has had a great season and it speaks volumes that Sir Alex has played him in more or less all our games. He is a very intelligent footballer and has done excellently all season. Rafael has really progressed and has had a great campaign as well, so it’s a close call between those three, for me.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wenger: Sanchez has qualities Arsenal lack
- Henry talks up 'quality' Zelalem
- Rodgers delighted by imminent Gerrard deal
- No bids on players, insists QPR owner
- 'West Ham will have to sign cover for Carroll'