- Arsenal transfers: Sami Khedira ‘agrees personal terms with Gunners’
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Abou Diaby can be a major asset for Arsenal, says Arsène Wenger
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Photos: Man Utd train ahead of LA Galaxy clash
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
We can beat the drop! Nigel Adkins named new Reading manager
Reading manager Nigel Adkins is optimistic the Royals can still beat the drop after replacing Brian McDermott at the Madejski Stadium
Reading have named former Southampton boss Nigel Adkins as Brian McDermott’s successor at the Madejski Stadium.
The 48-year-old, who has signed a three-year deal, assumes control of the Royals with the Championship winners in 19th place and seven points from safety.
Adkins guided the Saints to back-to-back promotions before being sacked in January and McDermott’s replacement is optimistic Reading can still beat the drop.
“We’ve got to believe we can do it. I want to be in the Premier League,” said Adkins.
“I’m excited about the future. I’ve had two weeks off. I am passionate about football, they are fighting, they have a good spirit and I’m looking forward to Arsenal on Saturday.”
He added: “We will scrap, it’s about the here and now. We have to concentrate on the Premier League.
“The players here have unbelievable spirit and they’re a good group of players. The Premier League is a great place to be.”
Adkins also revealed he spoke to former Royals boss McDermott about the club before agreeing to become Reading’s new manager.
“Brian has told me this is a great football club, with talented players and a great spirit. He is a top, top man, I had to think long and hard but I’m coming to a club with great spirit.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Messi 'enquired about Arsenal move'
- Mourinho convinced Chelsea can win the title
- AC Milan admit Balotelli could leave
- Liverpool 'beat Arsenal to Manquillo deal'
- Zaha keen to impress Van Gaal