- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Rooney, Lineker & more: Twitter reacts as Di Maria completes Man Utd move
QPR’s Harry Redknapp challenges Samba Diakité to fight for place
QPR manager Harry Redknapp challenges Samba Diakité to win back his first-team place after falling out-of-favour in 2013
Harry Redknapp has challenged Queens Park Rangers midfielder Samba Diakité to fight for his first-team place after falling out of favour since returning from the African Cup of Nations.
Redknapp brought in Jermaine Jenas to strengthen his central-midfield options during the transfer window, with Park Ji-Sung, Esteban Granero and Stéphane Mbia already vying for a spot in the manager’s starting line-up.
The Hoops boss says he rates the African midfielder but warned Diakité that he must prove his worth in order to win his place back in the team.
“His form dipped a little bit before he went away. The Liverpool game was a disappointment,” said Redknapp.
“And now there’s Jermaine Jenas, there’s Park, there’s Granero and Mbia – we’ve got a group of them central midfielders.
“But Samba’s a good lad, and I like him and he’s training well. I guess he could be in the team anytime.”
Diakité has made 14 appearances for QPR after completing a £3.5m move to Loftus Road from Lille last summer.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Origi explains why he picked Liverpool over Spurs
- Adebayor issues Spurs rallying cry
- Pochettino won't rule out new signings
- 'Madrid didn't appreciate Di Maria'
- Rooney: I'll seek Gerrard's advice about captaincy