Mancini: Man City made a mistake not signing cover for Kompany

Roberto Mancini says Manchester City should have signed a defender in January to act as cover for Vincent Kompany

The Sport Review staff
By The Sport Review staff    
vincent kompany
Vincent Kompany led City to the Premier League title last term Photo: S Grout, via Wikimedia

vincent kompany

Roberto Mancini admits that Manchester City’s failure to sign cover for injured captain Vincent Kompany in the January transfer window was a mistake.

The injured Belgium international has not featured for the defending Premier League champions since their 1-0 victory over Stoke City in the FA Cup on 26 January.

Kompany has been nursing a calf problem, leaving the Citizens short at the back, with England international Micah Richards also sidelined due to a knee injury.

Mancini concedes that City never anticipated Kompany would be unavailable for selection for almost two months and opted against bringing in a replacement.

“We made a mistake. We knew the problem and we were four days to the close of the market,” Mancini told the Telegraph.

“Probably there, we should have bought another defender. We tried. We had a chance, but we didn’t think Vinny would stay out for 45 days. This was the big problem.

“Also, last year, he had this problem for a month and didn’t play.”

With City trailing Manchester United by 12 points in the Premier League title race, Mancini is desperate to restore his skipper to the Citizens’s starting line-up.

And the Italian hopes to have the Belgian defender back for City’s clash against Newcastle United on 30 March ahead of their trip to Old Trafford in early April.

“Vinny has started to run. We hope and think he will be ready for Newcastle [on March 30],” added Mancini.

“He started training with us four days ago. His calf was tired, but it is no problem. We don’t want to take a risk at the moment.

“We have one game then the international break, so it is better that we wait.”

MORE: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among players out of contract in 2018

MORE: Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Back to The Sport Review homepage

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

The Sport Review
Top 50 most stylish footballers in the world in 2017: Chelsea, Arsenal stars feature – Slideshow
The Sport Review
20 Chelsea transfer targets Antonio Conte could sign in the summer
The Sport Review
Top 25 Muslim football players in Premier League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal WAGs 2017: Meet Granit Xhaka, Shkodran Mustafi and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s wives and girlfriends
The Sport Review
Roberto Firmino: 25 photos of the Liverpool forward’s stunning wife
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among 16 players out of contract in 2018
The Sport Review
Monte-Carlo Masters 2017: History man Rafael Nadal makes it 10 in Monaco and 50 on clay
The Sport Review
Photo: Frank Lampard shows his love for Chelsea with brilliant FA Cup celebration
The Sport Review
Gary Neville reacts to Anthony Martial’s display in Man United’s 2-0 win at Burnley