- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- Wojciech Szczesny welcomes Arsenal signing David Ospina
- Gareth Bale always spoke highly of Tottenham, reveals Ben Davies
Mancini: Man City made a mistake not signing cover for Kompany
Roberto Mancini says Manchester City should have signed a defender in January to act as cover for Vincent Kompany
Roberto Mancini admits that Manchester City’s failure to sign cover for injured captain Vincent Kompany in the January transfer window was a mistake.
Kompany has been nursing a calf problem, leaving the Citizens short at the back, with England international Micah Richards also sidelined due to a knee injury.
Mancini concedes that City never anticipated Kompany would be unavailable for selection for almost two months and opted against bringing in a replacement.
“We made a mistake. We knew the problem and we were four days to the close of the market,” Mancini told the Telegraph.
“Probably there, we should have bought another defender. We tried. We had a chance, but we didn’t think Vinny would stay out for 45 days. This was the big problem.
“Also, last year, he had this problem for a month and didn’t play.”
With City trailing Manchester United by 12 points in the Premier League title race, Mancini is desperate to restore his skipper to the Citizens’s starting line-up.
And the Italian hopes to have the Belgian defender back for City’s clash against Newcastle United on 30 March ahead of their trip to Old Trafford in early April.
“Vinny has started to run. We hope and think he will be ready for Newcastle [on March 30],” added Mancini.
“He started training with us four days ago. His calf was tired, but it is no problem. We don’t want to take a risk at the moment.
“We have one game then the international break, so it is better that we wait.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers
- Twitter reacts to Arsenal's £16m signing
- Arsenal give Chambers No21 shirt
- Walcott welcomes Chambers to Arsenal
- Chambers's gives first Arsenal interview