- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
South America goals of the week: Tottenham target stars with brace
From the continent that produced Pele, Maradona, & Messi, Charles Reynolds presents this week’s top five South American goals
5) Leandro Damiao (Internacional) v Sao Luiz [Brazil]
Seemingly perennial Tottenham transfer target Leandro Damiao scored twice in his side’s 5-0 drubbing of Sao Luiz last weekend, the pick was this effortless and expertly placed strike from wide on the left in the 81st minute.
4) Fidel Miño (Deportivo Capiatá) v Cerro Porteño [Paraguay]
Paraguayan defender Fidel Miño, who only came on as an 80th minute substitute, sealed a dramatic last minute win for his side with this 91st minute free kick. His swerving strike from 36 metres out left the opposition keeper rooted to the spot as it found the top left corner.
3) Jádson (Sao Paulo) v Arsenal de Sarandí [Copa Libertadores]
An excellent Sao Paulo counterattack is finished in some style by Jádson who slipped Osvaldo’s sweeping pass through to Aloisio before collecting the latter’s clever backheel and blasting the ball in from a narrow angle. Extra points awarded for the goal going in off the crossbar.
2) Guilherme (Corinthians) v Ituano [Brazil]
The young Brazilian scored his side’s second goal in sensational style in their exciting 3-2 win last weekend. Running on to fellow midfielder Douglas’ backheel from a free kick, his thundering strike crashed in off the crossbar from 30 yards out.
1) Romero & Olivera (Quilmes) v Argentinos Juniors [Argentina]
As with the Papal Conclave, this week’s winner comes from Argentina. Although unlike the new Pope, you get two goals for the price of one this week as Quilmes ensured Argentinos Juniors goalkeeper Luis Ojeda had a game to forget. First Sebastian Romero punished the keeper’s sloppy clearance to lob him from a very long way out and then from the same distance Wilfredo Olivera hit a stunning half volley which perfectly lobbed the keeper again, despite the fact he was basically on his own line. A brilliant goal.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema