- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Liverpool transfers: Serge Aurier reveals talks over future
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal back in for Balotelli, Man Utd bid for Cuadrado
- Arsenal transfers: AC Milan admit Mario Balotelli could leave
We would have asked Bale to get booked, says Tottenham boss AVB
André Villas-Boas says he would have asked Gareth Bale to pick up a yellow card if Tottenham star had not been booked against Inter
André Villas-Boas says he would have asked Gareth Bale to pick up a yellow card if the Tottenham winger had not been booked for diving in Thursday’s win over Inter Milan.
Bale, who opened the scoring as Spurs cantered to a 3-0 victory over the Serie A side in the Europa League last-16 first leg, was shown a yellow card for simulation and will miss the return leg at San Siro next week.
But Villas-Boas was glad to see the 23-year-old pick up a booking because the Welshman will sit out next week’s tie rather than risk picking up a suspension for the quarter-finals.
“Gareth will obviously be a great miss,” Villas-Boas said.
“But had we known we’d get this result we would have asked him to get the yellow card to be clean and to be ready for the last eight.
“It’s not finished but we are in a good position.
“Gareth has been influential in consecutive games but hopefully we can make it without him and go through to the last eight.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Woodward: Man Utd ready to spend big
- Fàbregas: Chelsea was best option for me
- Messi 'enquired about Arsenal move'
- Mourinho convinced Chelsea can win the title
- AC Milan admit Balotelli could leave