- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
We would have asked Bale to get booked, says Tottenham boss AVB
André Villas-Boas says he would have asked Gareth Bale to pick up a yellow card if Tottenham star had not been booked against Inter
André Villas-Boas says he would have asked Gareth Bale to pick up a yellow card if the Tottenham winger had not been booked for diving in Thursday’s win over Inter Milan.
Bale, who opened the scoring as Spurs cantered to a 3-0 victory over the Serie A side in the Europa League last-16 first leg, was shown a yellow card for simulation and will miss the return leg at San Siro next week.
But Villas-Boas was glad to see the 23-year-old pick up a booking because the Welshman will sit out next week’s tie rather than risk picking up a suspension for the quarter-finals.
“Gareth will obviously be a great miss,” Villas-Boas said.
“But had we known we’d get this result we would have asked him to get the yellow card to be clean and to be ready for the last eight.
“It’s not finished but we are in a good position.
“Gareth has been influential in consecutive games but hopefully we can make it without him and go through to the last eight.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema