- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Glenn Hoddle: Gareth Bale should stay & help Spurs become champions
Former Tottenham midfielder Glenn Hoddle urges Gareth Bale to stay and help transform Spurs into Premier League title challengers
Glenn Hoddle has urged Gareth Bale to stay at White Hart Lane and help Tottenham Hotspur challenge for the Premier League title.
Bale has scored 17 goals and made three assists in the Premier League this season, helping André Villas-Boas’s men challenge for a top-four finish.
And Hoddle, who won the FA Cup with Spurs in 1981 and 1982, reckons the north London side can attract top players to White Hart Lane this summer if Bale stays at the club.
“I don’t know Gareth but I would say to him ‘don’t go anywhere just yet’,” Hoddle told the Metro.
“He should stay for another season or even two, and drive Tottenham over the line and into the Champions League next season.
“Hopefully, his presence at White Hart Lane will then help attract better players to the club to play alongside him and he can then help Spurs become contenders to win the title.”
Hoddle also believes Bale would be wise to wait a few more years before seriously considering a move abroad, with the Welsh winger’s long-term girlfriend recently giving birth to their first child.
“Gareth has a young family and they will not be ready to abroad just yet, I can tell you that now,” he added.
“I was 29 when I left Spurs for Monaco and it took me four months to get settled there. It can be hard and Gareth has time on his side. He can move when the time is right for him and his family.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers