- Kirani James hails home fans after 400m win at Sainsbury’s Grand Prix
- Mo Farah breaks British record over two miles at Sainsbury’s Grand Prix
- Sochi 2014: I do… husband and wife take snowboard medals for Russia
- Sochi 2014: I had to choose Russia, says US-born snowboard king Vic Wild
- Mo Farah makes history as GB end record-breaking Euros on high
Team GB stars Hosking & Allen look ahead to Anniversary Run
The likes of Sophie Hosking and Dominique Allen look ahead to the London 2012 Anniversary Run, set to take place in July
Team GB supporters who helped inspire the likes of Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis and David Weir to London 2012 glory are being offered the chance to run on the very track where it all happened last summer.
The five-mile National Lottery Anniversary Run will take place on Sunday 21 July and will be the first event in the Olympic Stadium since the Paralympic Games closing ceremony.
Double London 2012 gold medallist Mo Farah helped launch the event, which will give up to 10,000 members of the public the opportunity to follow in his footsteps by running the final 300m to the finishing line on the Olympic Stadium track.
There will also be a shorter family fun run for children, accompanied by an adult, with 2,000 places up for grabs.
National Lottery-funded London 2012 athletes Sophie Hosking, Maddie Thompson, Dominique Allen and Yvette Baker joined Farah to launch the event in the Olympic Stadium and rowing gold medallist Hosking believes it is a great opportunity for the public.
“For young kids being able to get out there and run in the Olympic Stadium means it is not some untouchable dream they have seen on the TV and have no link to,” said Hosking, who memorably won lightweight women’s double scull gold with Kat Copeland at Eton Dorney last summer.
“Being able to run on the track will make it seem more real. Obviously there is a lot of hard work between that and getting to the Olympic Games but if they realise it is in their grasp it might inspire them to really chase it and maybe in 10 or 20 years time they are going to be competing themselves.”
The National Lottery Anniversary Run will take place on Sunday 21 July. Places are available via www.nationallotteryrun.com◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- James hails home fans after 400m win
- Farah breaks British record over two miles
- Seven medals for GB at Euro swimming championhips
- Farah makes history as GB end Euros on a high
- Rutherford prepared to jump big at Euros