- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
Oxlade-Chamberlain was waiting for midfield chance at Arsenal
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain admits he was delighted to be handed the chance to impress in midfield for Arsenal at Newcastle
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain admits he was delighted to be handed the chance to impress in midfield for Arsenal during Sunday’s tense 1-0 win at Newcastle.
The 19-year-old replaced Mikel Arteta in the first half at St James’ Park after the Spaniard aggravated a calf injury, with the England international playing a deeper central role in the Gunners’ midfield.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has been limited to just 11 league starts this season – and he was thrilled to play his part in such a crucial game as the Gunners secured a fourth-place finish on the final day of the campaign.
“I’ve been waiting for any sort of chance to play and I’ve been getting a few minutes off the bench so to be able to come on in the first half was a bit of a surprise,” Oxlade-Chamberlain told Arsenal Player.
“I was aware that Mikel might have struggled a bit so mentally I prepared as if I was going to start the game. That helped me.
“To be able to come on midfield is something I really look forward to doing and it was an opportunity for me to show the boss I was capable of playing there.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema