- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
Oxlade-Chamberlain was waiting for midfield chance at Arsenal
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain admits he was delighted to be handed the chance to impress in midfield for Arsenal at Newcastle
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain admits he was delighted to be handed the chance to impress in midfield for Arsenal during Sunday’s tense 1-0 win at Newcastle.
The 19-year-old replaced Mikel Arteta in the first half at St James’ Park after the Spaniard aggravated a calf injury, with the England international playing a deeper central role in the Gunners’ midfield.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has been limited to just 11 league starts this season – and he was thrilled to play his part in such a crucial game as the Gunners secured a fourth-place finish on the final day of the campaign.
“I’ve been waiting for any sort of chance to play and I’ve been getting a few minutes off the bench so to be able to come on in the first half was a bit of a surprise,” Oxlade-Chamberlain told Arsenal Player.
“I was aware that Mikel might have struggled a bit so mentally I prepared as if I was going to start the game. That helped me.
“To be able to come on midfield is something I really look forward to doing and it was an opportunity for me to show the boss I was capable of playing there.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- I'll prove my worth at West Ham, vows Jenkinson
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings