- Video: Game of Thrones star gives team talk in Rugby World Cup ad
- Guinness Pro12: Munster sign Argentine hooker Eusebio Guiñazú
- Aviva Premiership: Northampton Saints kick off the new season
- Guinness Pro12: Gareth Maule reflects on tough Scarlets exit
- Former England winger James Simpson-Daniel coming to terms with retirement
- WRU and Welsh regions sign new £60m rugby agreement
British and Irish Lions 2013: Rory Best honoured by call-up
British and Irish Lions 2013: Ulster hooker Rory Best says he is honoured by his call-up to Warren Gatland's 37-man squad
Rory Best admits he is honoured to be selected as part of the British & Irish Lions squad, having initially been left out of the 37-man touring party.
Hooker Best, who started all five of Ireland’s Six Nations fixtures, was added to the squad on Sunday just 24 hours after Ulster lost the PRO12 final to Leinster.
“It was hard when I didn’t make the initial squad because it is everyone’s ambition to play for the Lions, but to be selected now is a massive honour,” said Best.
“To be finally selected makes playing professional rugby worthwhile and makes up for the feeling I had a few weeks ago when I thought the chance had gone.”
Meanwhile, Munster back row Peter O’Mahony has been made captain for Ireland’s summer tour of North America in Best’s absence.
The 23-year-old O’Mahony has impressed for Rob Penney’s side this season and during the autumn internationals and the Six Nations, he made himself a mainstay of the Ireland back row.
He will be Ireland’s youngest captain since Brian O’Driscoll led the men in green on their tour of Australia in 2002.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Simpson-Daniel coming to terms with retirement
- Maule reflects on tough Scarlets exit
- Munster sign Argentine hooker Eusebio Guiñazú
- VIDEO: Games of Thrones star delivers rugby team talk
- Glasgow name strong squad for London Scottish clash