- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
Barnes: Only Liverpool’s Suárez could have scored THAT Newcastle goal
John Barnes reckons Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo wouldnt' have been able to score Luis Suárez's strike against Newcastle
John Barnes believes Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo would struggle to replicate Luis Suárez’s goal against Newcastle United this season.
The Liverpool striker controlled José Enrique’s long pass with his shoulder before rounding
Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul and rolling the ball into the empty net in a 1-1 draw at Anfield.
The former Reds midfielder named Suárez’s Newcastle effort as the best of the Uruguay international’s 23 Premier League goals this season.
And Barnes reckons even Barcelona’s mercurial Messi and Madrid talisman Ronaldo would struggle to emulate Suárez’s mind-boggling goal.
“I don’t think there’s another player in the world that could have scored that goal. I don’t think [Lionel] Messi, [Cristiano] Ronaldo, [Robin] van Persie or anyone could score it,” Barnes said.
“The pace he was running at, to control the ball and then to change pace, to relax, to calm down and slow down, to not run out or kick the ball out of play on his second touch and put it in was just incredible.”
Barnes also believes Brendan Rodgers’s men have been better than any other side in the English top flight when at their best this season.
“When Liverpool have played at their best, they’ve been playing better than any other team in the country,” Barnes added.
“But more importantly, they need to be able to play ugly and win – that’s the sign of champions.
“You want to get that consistency, but there are times when you’re not going to be consistent in terms of your performance and you may need to get the result.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema