- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Wojciech Szczesny welcomes Arsenal signing David Ospina
- Gareth Bale always spoke highly of Tottenham, reveals Ben Davies
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd monitor Di Maria, Arsenal chase Costa
Robin van Persie: I never had any doubts about joining Man Utd
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie says he never had any doubts about his move to Old Trafford last summer
Robin van Persie has insisted he never had any doubts about joining Manchester United last summer.
The 29-year-old has been a pivotal figure in the Red Devils’s 13th Premier League title triumph, scoring 25 goals in 36 top-flight appearances in his debut season at Old Trafford.
Van Persie, who completed a £24m move to the 20-time English champions from Arsenal last August, revealed taht he always expected to win silverware at the club this term.
“I wouldn’t have moved if I’d had doubts. Instead, from day one I was almost certain we’d win trophies – not in a couple of years but this year,” Van Persie told United Review.
“I saw the players training, I saw the way they behaved, the way they lived, their mentality, the way the staff worked, the way the manager and the staff acted.
“When all those elements combine you end up with a team of champions. It also helps when you have so many players who know how to win.
“After Manchester City lost at Tottenham I noticed a real focus in the squad. Suddenly the Villa game was like a final: win the match and you get a trophy. I could see in everybody’s faces how determined they were.”
Van Persie added he has been “floating on a cloud” since scoring a hat-trick against Aston Villa to secure the Premier League crown a fortnight ago.
“It’s even nicer. I’ve waited for this for a long time. Even with Feyenoord I was close but never a champion,” he added.
“As a youth player, though, I was used to winning trophies, right through from U12s to U18s.
“We won the Uefa Cup at Feyenoord three months after I started and I remember thinking: ‘Okay, this will happen every year – winning trophies is part of being a footballer.’
“But I’ve realised since then it’s not that simple. I had to wait a long time to be a champion but it tastes lovely. I feel like I’m floating on a cloud.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Lovren can't wait to link up with Liverpool squad
- Rodgers: Lovren an important Liverpool signing
- Liverpool complete £20m Lovren signing
- Arsenal target Griezmann set to join Atletico