- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Ronald Koeman tweets picture of empty Southampton training ground
Stoke 1 Tottenham 2: Win puts more pressure on Arsenal, says Villas-Boas
Stoke 1 Tottenham 2: André Villas-Boas says Spurs were rewarded for their patience at the Britannia Stadium
André Villas-Boas believes Tottenham Hotspur’s win puts more pressure on Arsenal after Emmanuel Adebayor scored the winner against 10-man Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.
Stoke, celebrating the club’s 150th anniversary, took a first-half lead when Steven Nzonzi nodded past Hugo Lloris from a Charlie Adam free-kick.
However, Clint Dempsey levelled in the 20th minute when the American guided a finish over Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, who was caught of position.
The Potters were reduced to 10 men at the start of the second half after Adam was send off for a second bookable offence, and Adebayor continued his goal-scoring run with the winner in the 83rd minute.
“What we did was we kept the patience. It would have been very easy for us to lump it forward. We were rewarded in the end for that patience. In the end we got what we deserved,” Villas-Boas told BBC Sport.
“It is not easy – we had to be very patient but in any set play Stoke would have a chance to score again.
“It was difficult to break them down.”
He added: “Hopefully we can be rewarded for what we have done this season. This result enables us to play at home to Sunderland, and Arsenal have a tough trip to Newcastle.
“This puts more pressure on Arsenal but they are able to cope with it. We hope Wigan have their day.”
Tottenham move two points ahead of fifth-placed Arsenal after their victory, with the Gunners set to play Wigan Athletic on Tuesday night.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers