- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Arsenal transfers: ‘Wenger should break the bank to sign Rooney’
Arsenal transfers: John Hartson believes Arsène Wenger should "break the bank" to bring Wayne Rooney to north London
John Hartson believes Arsène Wenger should “break the bank” to bring Wayne Rooney to Arsenal from Manchester United this summer.
The 27-year-old’s future has been a source of constant speculation since it emerged that he had a transfer request rejected by United towards the end of last season.
Arsenal have been touted as a possible destination for the England international, with Paris Saint-Germain also rumoured to be interested in Rooney’s services.
And amid reports of a £70m transfer budget at Wenger’s disposal this summer, former Arsenal striker Hartson has urged the Gunners to make a big-money swoop for the forward.
“I think Rooney would be a fantastic signing,” Hartson told Goal. “He’s actually coming into his prime.
“He’s only about 27, 28 and you don’t play your best football until this stage of your career so, in terms of his experience and everything he’s done at Manchester United, I think he would be a brilliant signing and Arsenal fans would welcome him into the side.
“Arsenal fans are used to players like Rooney. They’ve had Dennis Bergkamp, Liam Brady, Anders Limpar, they’ve had great ball players over the years and Rooney would be a magic signing, I’m a big fan of his.
“So, for me, I would just break the bank and go and get Rooney if United will let him go.”
Rooney scored 16 goals in 36 appearances in all competitions for United last season – but was limited to just 22 Premier League starts.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Smith: Welbeck only wanted Arsenal move
- PHOTO: Wilshere and Hart all smiles
- Madrid already missing Alonso & Di Maria
- Mertesacker: Arsenal's Chambers has everything
- Arteta: Welbeck will suit Arsenal's style