British Grand Prix 2013: Lewis Hamilton snatches pole on home soil
British Grand Prix 2013: Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton grabs pole in front of the home crowd at Silverstone
Lewis Hamilton grabbed pole for the British Grand Prix in a sensational lap in the last seconds of qualifying to become the first home driver to front the grid at Silverstone in six years.
The Brit edged out Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg by four tenths of a second with a lap time of 1.26.6 minutes, as they locked out the front row.
World champion Sebastian Vettel secured third, while his team-mate Mark Webber will start his last-ever British Grand Prix from fourth place.
But there was disappointment for home crowd favourite Jenson Button, as he narrowly missed out on a place in Q3, only managing 11th place.
Fellow home driver Paul di Resta secured fifth place – his best performance at a British Grand Prix qualifying session.
It was a miserable qualifying session for Ferrari with only Alonso making it through to Q3, eventually qualifying in tenth spot, while Massa only managed 12th.
Both Ferrari drivers struggled throughout as they scraped through Q1 narrowly avoiding elimination in 14th and 15th.
The usual suspects found themselves eliminated from Q1 – Brit Max Chilton qualifying in last place at his first home Grand Prix.
Although, the Marussia driver will start from 21st after Caterham’s Giedo Van der Garde carries a five-place grid penalty from his clash with Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg in Canada.
British Grand Prix 2013: Qualifying times
1. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 29.607s
2. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 30.059s
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 30.211s
4. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 30.220s
5. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 30.736s
6. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 30.757s
7. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 30.908s
8. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 30.955s
9. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 30.962s
10. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 30.979s
11. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 31.649s
12. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 31.779s
13. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 31.785s
14. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 32.082s
15. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 32.211s
16. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 32.359s
17. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 32.664s
18. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 32.666s
19. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 33.866s
20. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 34.108s
21. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 35.481s*
22. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 35.858s◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Read more on...
Lewis Hamilton storms past rivals to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year1 week ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull3 months ago Formula 1
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso: I have power over my F1 future3 months ago Formula 1
Brundle, Glock and more: Twitter reacts to Vettel’s Red Bull departure3 months ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel set to swap Red Bull for Ferrari3 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen: I drove ‘within limits’ on my Formula 1 debut3 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories4 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’4 months ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award4 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium4 months ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0004 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg4 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole4 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton4 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost4 months ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles4 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish5 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole5 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe5 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix5 months ago Formula 1