- Spanish island of Majorca in bid to lure F1 from Valencia
- Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost
- German Grand Prix 2012: Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso takes pole
- German Grand Prix 2012: Hamilton targets victory in 100th race
- Belgian Grand Prix 2013: Sebastian Vettel thrilled to win ‘fantastic’ race
- Chinese Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull to reduce use of team orders
Canadian Grand Prix 2013: Vettel seals first ever triumph in Montreal
Canadian Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel leads from start to finish to win the Montreal race for the first time
Sebastian Vettel’s bid for a fourth successive title was given a huge boost after the German cruised to his third win of the season at the Canadian Grand Prix.
On the first lap, surprise third-placed qualifier for Williams, Valtteri Bottas, started to tumble down the order as Mark Webber and Alonso breezed past.
But it was business as usual for world champion Vettel, who had totted up a four-second lead over Hamilton within the first eight laps and sealed his first ever win in Canada.
Kimi Räikkönen – starting in tenth after a one-place grid penalty for a pit lane infraction – was struggling to find pace, having only moved up to eighth by lap 12.
During the first round of pit-stops, Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg got the jump on Webber for third and started to hold up the faster Red Bull.
As the Monaco Grand Prix winner kept Webber at bay, Hamilton swept into the pits on lap 20 and rejoined the track several seconds in front of both.
McLaren had won five of the last seven Canadian Grand Prix but Jensen Button was toiling away in 16th midway through the race, while Sergio Perez fared little better in 12th.
On lap 31, Webber finally got the better of Rosberg – though now had Alonso in his mirrors after the Spaniard took advantage of the pair’s scrap.
Meanwhile, Vettel lapped Räikkönen – who was second-place in the Drivers’ Championship before the race – and was building on an ominous 15-second lead over Hamilton.
But his Red Bull teammate Webber saw a chunk of his front-wing carved off on lap 38 as Caterham backmarker Giedo van der Garde left too little room while cornering.
It took a further four laps for the Australian to fall prey to Alonso, who turned his attention to chasing down second-placed Hamilton.
The former McLaren teammates toed and froed before Alonso – going wheel-to-wheel with Hamilton on the home straight – secured second place with seven laps remaining.
However, the Spaniard was left with too much work to do to catch Vettel, who clinched victory with 15 seconds to spare.
Canadian Grand Prix 2013: Race result
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 70 laps 1hr 32m 09.143s
2. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari +00m 14.4s
3. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes +00m 15.9s
4. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault +00m 25.7s
5. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes +01m 09.7s
6. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1 lap
7. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes +1 lap
8. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari +1 lap
9. Kimi Räikkönen Finand Lotus-Renault +1 lap
10. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes +1 lap
11. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes +1 lap
12. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes +1 lap
13. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault +1 lap
14. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault +1 lap
15. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari +2 laps
16. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault +2 laps
17. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth +2 laps
18. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault +3 laps
19. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth +3 laps
Rtd Esteban Gutierrez Spain Sauber-Ferrari 63 laps completed
Rtd Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 45 laps completed
Rtd Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 43 laps completed◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Read more on...
Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull3 weeks ago Formula 1
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso: I have power over my F1 future3 weeks ago Formula 1
Brundle, Glock and more: Twitter reacts to Vettel’s Red Bull departure3 weeks ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel set to swap Red Bull for Ferrari3 weeks ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen: I drove ‘within limits’ on my Formula 1 debut3 weeks ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’2 months ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium2 months ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0002 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg2 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole2 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton2 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost2 months ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles2 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish3 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole3 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe3 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix3 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton vows to race through pain after German Grand Prix crash3 months ago Formula 1