- I wouldn’t sign Liverpool target Mario Balotelli for free, says ex-Man Utd star
- Photos: Özil and Mertesacker train as Arsenal gear up for Everton
- Liverpool transfers: Mario Balotelli a bargain at £16m, says Harry Redknapp
- Transfer round-up: Song in £10m Arsenal return, Man Utd bid for Vidal
- Transfer round-up: Reus in talks with Arsenal, Tottenham to sign Fazio
- José Mourinho wishes Mario Balotelli all the best at Liverpool
John Terry deserves to be Chelsea captain, says José Mourinho
José Mourinho confirms that John Terry will remain as Chelsea captain as long as he is in the starting line-up
José Mourinho has confirmed that John Terry will remain as Chelsea captain as long as he is in the starting line-up.
The 32-year-old defender was limited to 27 appearances in all competitions for the Blues last term under Roberto Di Matteo and Rafael Benítez.
But Mourinho, who was officially unveiled as Chelsea boss on Monday afternoon, says he is “more than happy” for Terry to continue to lead the west Londoners.
“Last time John was the captain by a club decision, because he was born in the club and because of his personality on the pitch. I did a simple consultation with the players trying to feel opinions and everybody agreed.
“At this moment, when you say “my captain”, it’s not the real word. It’s more Chelsea captain, because Chelsea captain is my captain, the board’s captain, the fans’ captain.
“John is the club captain; I’m more than happy he’s the captain, the fans are more than happy he’s the captain, so I think he has to be.
“Has he the armband? Only if he plays. If he isn’t in the starting 11 he doesn’t have the armband, but he’s the captain.
“I didn’t think for one second before on this but he has to be and he deserves to be, I’m happy for him to be.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Lamela: I'm enjoying my football again
- Khedira set to leave Real Madrid
- Van Gaal: Rojo must learn control
- Pellegrini expecting big things from Jovetic
- Balotelli and Liverpool are an unlikely match