- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
‘Kolo Touré is as close as Liverpool will get to replacing Jamie Carragher’
Manchester City's Joleon Lescott believes Kolo Touré is the best possible signing to replace Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher
Joleon Lescott believes Kolo Touré is as close as Liverpool will get to finding a suitable candidate to fill the irreplaceable Jamie Carragher’s void.
The Ivory Coast international is set to join the Reds from Manchester City on 1 July after Carragher announced his retirement at the end of last season.
“He’s energetic, he’s full of life and he’s always smiling every day in training,” Lescott told Liverpool’s website.
“I know he’s a good player – he’s quick, he reads the game well and he’s a leader. You can’t replace Jamie Carragher but that will be as close as you’re going to get.”
Earlier this month, Brendan Rodgers revealed he was a long-term admirer of the African and was delighted to sign a player of Touré’s experience.
“Kolo Touré is a player I’ve admired since he came into the Premier League,” Rodgers told talkSPORT.
“He was a wonderful servant for Arsenal and a part of that ‘Invincibles’ group and did exceptionally well, and in the transformation of Manchester City, they brought him in as one of their key players.
“We’re losing an absolute colossal player in Jamie Carragher, who was absolutely brilliant for me. It’s very, very hard to replace that type.
“Kolo Touré will give us that experience and winning mentality. He’s still very fit, very strong and will come in, offer that support and fight for his place in the team.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Evra: Van Gaal sorry to see me leave
- Atletico rules out Cazorla bid
- Koeman rules out Schneiderlin exit
- 'Mourinho must sign Lukaku replacement'
- Napoli confirm Fellaini interest