- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers thrilled with ‘very hungry’ signings
Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers says he is thrilled at bringing in three players "willing to fight for the shirt" this summer
Brendan Rodgers admits he is thrilled by Liverpool’s transfer activity this summer after the Reds boss landed his third signing on Saturday.
Sevilla forward Luis Alberto finally sealed a move to the Reds after the Merseyside outfit sealed deals for Kolo Touré and Iago Aspas, who is waiting for paperwork to be completed before finalising his switch.
Rodgers was left short of depth in his squad at the start of his reign last season, but the Reds have moved swiftly to strengthen this summer in a bid to launch a top-four challenge next term.
“Kolo Touré is a player I’ve admired since he came into the Premier League,” Rodgers told talkSPORT.
“He was a wonderful servant for Arsenal and a part of that ‘Invincibles’ group and did exceptionally well, and in the transformation of Manchester City, they brought him in as one of their key players.
“We’re losing an absolute colossal player in Jamie Carragher, who was absolutely brilliant for me. It’s very, very hard to replace that type.
“Kolo Touré will give us that experience and winning mentality. He’s still very fit, very strong and will come in, offer that support and fight for his place in the team.
“Iago Aspas was one of the stars for Celta Vigo. He’s a goalscorer, he’s quick, dynamic, aggressive in his game and has a winning mentality.
“I feel these are the types of players that can come into Liverpool and keep our momentum moving forward. Players that are hungry to succeed, because that’s important for us.
“We have to bring in players that are willing to fight for the shirt and these players are very much hungry to do that.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers