- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
Liverpool transfers: Kolo Touré is a smart signing, says John Aldridge
Liverpool transfers: Former Reds striker John Aldridge believes Kolo Touré will prove to be a "smart" signing for the club
John Aldridge believes Manchester City defender Kolo Touré will prove a “smart” signing for Liverpool.
On Tuesday, the Reds announced the Ivory Coast international will move to Anfield on 1 July on a free transfer after four seasons at the Citizens.
“Touré may only be a stop-gap but it’s a smart move by the club,” Aldridge told the Liverpool Echo.
“We’ve got a very young team and everyone can see that we needed more experience.
“Jamie Carragher is irreplaceable but at least with Touré we have signed a defender who knows the Premier League inside out.
“Our young players will learn a lot from working with someone like him. He reads the game really well and knows what it’s all about.
“He’s 32 but he’s still got a couple of years at the highest level left in him.
“The other thing is that if you look at his CV, he’s a winner. He has captained the teams he has played for and will be a voice in the dressing room. He know what it takes to win and will have an impact on the players around him.
“We’ve seen from past windows that the owners want to invest in youth and seem to be reluctant to pay top money for older players.
“But in Touré Liverpool have been able to sign an experienced defender for nothing. It’s certainly not a gamble.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema