- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
Liverpool transfers: Kolo Touré is a smart signing, says John Aldridge
Liverpool transfers: Former Reds striker John Aldridge believes Kolo Touré will prove to be a "smart" signing for the club
John Aldridge believes Manchester City defender Kolo Touré will prove a “smart” signing for Liverpool.
On Tuesday, the Reds announced the Ivory Coast international will move to Anfield on 1 July on a free transfer after four seasons at the Citizens.
“Touré may only be a stop-gap but it’s a smart move by the club,” Aldridge told the Liverpool Echo.
“We’ve got a very young team and everyone can see that we needed more experience.
“Jamie Carragher is irreplaceable but at least with Touré we have signed a defender who knows the Premier League inside out.
“Our young players will learn a lot from working with someone like him. He reads the game really well and knows what it’s all about.
“He’s 32 but he’s still got a couple of years at the highest level left in him.
“The other thing is that if you look at his CV, he’s a winner. He has captained the teams he has played for and will be a voice in the dressing room. He know what it takes to win and will have an impact on the players around him.
“We’ve seen from past windows that the owners want to invest in youth and seem to be reluctant to pay top money for older players.
“But in Touré Liverpool have been able to sign an experienced defender for nothing. It’s certainly not a gamble.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- I'll prove my worth at West Ham, vows Jenkinson
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings