- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
- Arsenal legend Thierry Henry talks up ‘quality’ Gedion Zelalem
- Brendan Rodgers likens Philippe Coutinho to ex-Tottenham star
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Arsenal transfers: Maximilian Arnold ‘dreams’ of Gunners move
- Carragher & more: Twitter reacts as Drogba seals Chelsea return
Liverpool transfers: Reina ‘very happy’ at Reds despite Mignolet link
Liverpool transfers: Pepe Reina says he is comfortable at the Reds despite reports of Sunderland's Simon Mignolet joining the club
Pepe Reina says he is “very comfortable” at Liverpool despite Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet nearing a switch to Anfield.
On Saturday, Brendan Rodgers revealed Mignolet would not be signed as a replacement for Reina as the Belgian neared a move to the Reds, but instead, the Black Cats star would provide competition for the 30-year-old.
“It has not changed a bit. I have said it many times, I’m very comfortable and very happy at Liverpool,” Reina told a news conference in Brazil.
“Every team needs competitors, and when it’s positive it is more than welcome. If it is finally done I’ll welcome him a lot, and anything he needs, I’m here.”
Liverpool are believed to have agreed a reported £11m deal for Mignolet, and Rodgers is hoping the Belgium international will prove healthy competition for the number one shirt at Anfield.
“One of the things we’re trying to build is a competitive squad,” Rodgers told talkSPORT on Saturday.
“Our squad was very thin last year and it was great being we were able to introduce a few young players from our academy that but it’s very important that we have competition in every position and that wasn’t always the case.
“Pepe Reina and I went out for a meal a couple of months before the end of the season and I told him exactly what we were going to do, which was to provide real competition in that area.
“He was fully aware of my intention of the course of the last few months. It certainly wouldn’t be a surprise to Pepe.
“Pepe is a fantastic goalkeeper but Simon Mignolet is a player that has done really well.
“He’s also part of an emerging Belgium squad that has come into a golden era. He’s very much a part of that.
“When you work with Pepe he’s a great man. A very committed man to the club and he’s an outstanding goalkeeper.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Cech welcomes Chelsea legend back home
- Man Utd flop Bebe joins Benfica
- Blanc coy on Di Maria link
- Law backs Van Gaal to lead Man Utd into Europe
- Ancelotti tells Di Maria to fight for Madrid future