- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
Man City can win the Champions League, says Fernandinho
Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho believes the Citizens are capable of winning the Champions League next season
Fernandinho believes Manchester City are capable of winning their first Champions League crown next season.
The Brazil international completed a £30m move from Shakhtar Donetsk earlier this month ahead of the appointment of Manuel Pellegrini as the Citizens new manager.
The Chilean’s predecessor Roberto Mancini saw City crash out of the Champions League in the group stage in successive seasons, but the midfielder reckons Pellegrini’s men can conquer Europe.
“I hope it will be an excellent performance from City in the competition,” Fernandinho told the Manchester Evening News.
“That would motivate the supporters and lead us to the final games of the competition.
“A cup would be incredible, and the best in Europe? I believe we can do it.”
And Fernandinho is desperate to make his debut in English football against the Magpies and help the Citizens make a winning start to their campaign.
“What I really want is to play as soon as possible for City,” he added.
“They are excellent players with great stories in football, but the reality is it doesn’t matter who we play against – all I want is to play and help City to win.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream