- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Wojciech Szczesny welcomes Arsenal signing David Ospina
- Gareth Bale always spoke highly of Tottenham, reveals Ben Davies
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd monitor Di Maria, Arsenal chase Costa
Man Utd transfers: Ronaldo will retire at Real Madrid, says Pérez
Man Utd transfers: Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez is confident Cristiano Ronaldo will retire at Los Blancos
Florentino Pérez is expecting Cristiano Ronaldo to retire at Real Madrid amid interest from his former club Manchester United.
The 28-year-old recently took to his Twitter account to quash reports suggesting the Portugal international had agreed a contract extension with Madrid.
The Red Devils have been heavily linked with a move for Ronaldo, who the Premier League champions sold to Los Blancos in a world-record £80m deal in 2009.
However, Madrid president Pérez revealed that he expects Ronaldo’s future to be resolved in the near future – and is adamant he will pen a new deal at the Spanish club.
“Cristiano made these statements because there was some information in the media which did not match reality,” Pérez told 20minutos.
“Soon we will clarify this issue. I have no doubt that Cristiano is going to retire at Real Madrid. I am convinced that he will renew.”
He added: “It [renewing with Ronaldo] is our most important activity, around whom we can build the Madrid of the future.”
Last summer Ronaldo, whose current Madrid deal is set to expire in 2015, said he was “unhappy” at Real for “professional reasons”.
But earlier this month, the former Sporting Lisbon winger, who went on to score 34 goals in 34 La Liga appearances last term, hinted he would pen a new deal.
“I know that we will soon reach an agreement. I am feeling very well. I’m calm and not too worried about it,” Ronaldo said.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Lovren can't wait to link up with Liverpool squad
- Rodgers: Lovren an important Liverpool signing
- Liverpool complete £20m Lovren signing
- Arsenal target Griezmann set to join Atletico