- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
Arsenal transfers: Cesc Fàbregas to stay ‘one more year’
Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger claims that Cesc Fàbregas has decided to stay at Barcelona for at least another season
Arsène Wenger admits Arsenal are “on alert” over the possibility of bringing Cesc Fàbregas back to north London – but says that the midfielder has opted to stay at Barcelona for at least another year.
Manchester United and Arsenal have both been linked with swoops for the 26-year-old this summer, who rejoined his boyhood club from the Gunners in August 2011.
The Red Devils are understood to have had a £26m bid rejected by the La Liga champions last week, while Arsenal have been touted as another possible destination for the playmaker, who saw his first-team opportunities at Camp Nou limited last season.
However, Wenger has revealed that the Spain international has opted to stay in Spain for “one more year” – but says the Gunners would be interested in re-signing the midfielder in the future.
“At the moment, Fàbregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona,” Wenger told the press.
“We have the clause in the contract so we would be on alert but, at the moment, that’s not something we’re after.”
Fàbregas has scored 29 goals and made 32 assists in 96 appearances for Barcelona after completing a £35m move to Camp Nou in 2011.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd