- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
Bryan Robson: Man Utd aren’t desperate for a ‘dominant midfielder’
Former Manchester United captain Bryan Robson says the Red Devils shouldn't buy a "dominant midfielder" for the sake of it
Bryan Robson believes Manchester United should only spend money on a “dominant midfielder” that would markedly improve the Red Devils squad.
The Premier League champions have been linked with a host of central midfielders in recent months, including Barcelona’s Cesc Fàbregas, Everton’s Belgian Marouane Fellaini and PSV Eindhoven youngster Kevin Strootman.
However, Robson believes United’s current options – Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones – deserve credit after the Red Devils won the English top-flight crown by a staggering 11 points.
And Robson doesn’t want to see David Moyes spend big money on a new midfield signing unless it will significantly strengthen the Scot’s squad.
“I know the fans keep talking about this dominant midfielder they want but you have to look at the whole picture,” Robson told Manchester Evening News.
“They’ve talked about players like myself, Roy Keane, Paul Ince and Paul Scholes but if you haven’t got a dominant midfield player or you can’t find one you have to look at what you’ve got.
“You look at players like Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Phil Jones, Anderson and you have to ask are they good enough to do the job? Well they were last season. They won the title by 11 points!
“You always look to improve but if that player isn’t there who is better than the players you have got, what is the point in spending a load of money if they are not as good.
“The fans have to acknowledge that sometimes the player you need or want isn’t always around or available to buy.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Cech welcomes Chelsea legend back home
- Man Utd flop Bebe joins Benfica
- Blanc coy on Di Maria link
- Law backs Van Gaal to lead Man Utd into Europe
- Ancelotti tells Di Maria to fight for Madrid future