- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Rooney, Lineker & more: Twitter reacts as Di Maria completes Man Utd move
Bryan Robson: Man Utd aren’t desperate for a ‘dominant midfielder’
Former Manchester United captain Bryan Robson says the Red Devils shouldn't buy a "dominant midfielder" for the sake of it
Bryan Robson believes Manchester United should only spend money on a “dominant midfielder” that would markedly improve the Red Devils squad.
The Premier League champions have been linked with a host of central midfielders in recent months, including Barcelona’s Cesc Fàbregas, Everton’s Belgian Marouane Fellaini and PSV Eindhoven youngster Kevin Strootman.
However, Robson believes United’s current options – Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones – deserve credit after the Red Devils won the English top-flight crown by a staggering 11 points.
And Robson doesn’t want to see David Moyes spend big money on a new midfield signing unless it will significantly strengthen the Scot’s squad.
“I know the fans keep talking about this dominant midfielder they want but you have to look at the whole picture,” Robson told Manchester Evening News.
“They’ve talked about players like myself, Roy Keane, Paul Ince and Paul Scholes but if you haven’t got a dominant midfield player or you can’t find one you have to look at what you’ve got.
“You look at players like Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Phil Jones, Anderson and you have to ask are they good enough to do the job? Well they were last season. They won the title by 11 points!
“You always look to improve but if that player isn’t there who is better than the players you have got, what is the point in spending a load of money if they are not as good.
“The fans have to acknowledge that sometimes the player you need or want isn’t always around or available to buy.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Gerrard: Balotelli can help us get over Suárez
- Walsall player turns up for West Brom training
- Allardyce hints at further signings
- Palace set to re-sign Zaha from Man Utd
- Wilshere: Sánchez 'needed' first Arsenal goal