It had been claimed that PSG were ready to table an offer for the sought-after forward – but Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says that there have been no such talks and insists that the player will not be sold for less than their asking price.
“We have not received an offer from PSG for Cavani,” De Laurentiis told Italy’s Sky Sport 24. “We are a rich club that respects financial fair play, we do not need to sell our players.
“If someone wants him then they will have to pay the €63m (£53m) clause. If we do not get offers, we would be happy to have him with us at least until his contract expires in 2017.”
Cavani, who netted 36 goals in 41 appearances for Napoli last season, said last week that he plans to hold talks with his club in the coming days.
“Today the only thing I can think about is that I have a contract with Napoli. For now, Napoli are my club,” Cavani told Globo Esporte.
“It is useless to talk about my future. I, the main protagonist in this transfer story, do not know anything.
“I just know that I’m at Napoli still and I have to go back there. I think once I have finished the Confederations Cup, I will have a few days of rest and then sort things out. I will return to Napoli and face the situation.
“It’s a delicate situation without doubt. But these things I do not want to speak about in front of a camera.”
Get enhanced odds of 7/1 on Rangers to get promoted on Thursday with Paddy Power.