- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
Man Utd transfers: Bayern tight-lipped on Thiago speculation
Man Utd transfers: Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer plays down reports linking the club with Thiago Alcantara
Matthias Sammer has remained tight-lipped on speculation linking Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara with a move to Bayern Munich.
Manchester United have been heavily linked with a swoop for the young playmaker, who is available for £18m due to a clause in his contract which remains active until the end of July.
Thiago was limited to just 15 starts in La Liga last season, scoring two goals and making five assists as the Spain Under-21 international failed to dislodge the likes of Andrés Iniesta, Cesc Fàbregas and Xavi.
But Bayern sporting director Sammer rubbished reports the Champions League holders had agreed a deal for the 22-year-old.
“Why would we not communicate it if something was signed? No, of course that is not the case,” Thiago told German newspaper Bild am Sonntag.
On Friday, Pep Guardiola admitted he wanted to sign Thiago this summer after being officially unveiled as Bayern’s new manager.
“Yes,” Guardiola said.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen. We have to wait. I know him very, very well. He is a super, super player. He can play in three, four or five positions.”
He added: “It is either Thiago or nothing.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: What Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Man Utd unveil £14m signing Blind
- Blind great addition, says Van Gaal
- Blind revels in dream move to Man Utd
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck