The Red Devils had a bid for Barcelona playmaker Cesc Fàbregas rejected last week as the Spaniard emerged as Moyes’ top transfer target.
The La Liga champions on Friday once again insisted that the 26-year-old is not for sale – but the Scot says he is still on the lookout for the “right players”.
“When I got the job, I was made aware of what could possibly be done to improve things,” said Moyes.
“Signing a midfield player was one area where we thought we could possibly add to the squad.
“It’s hard to get top quality players who can come in and affect your team. That’s why we’re trying to go for what we see as the right players and the best players.”
MORE: Latest Man Utd news
MORE: Latest Arsenal news
MORE: The latest football news