- I wouldn’t sign Liverpool target Mario Balotelli for free, says ex-Man Utd star
- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Photos: Özil and Mertesacker train as Arsenal gear up for Everton
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Liverpool transfers: Mario Balotelli a bargain at £16m, says Harry Redknapp
Man Utd transfers: ‘Wayne Rooney cover for Robin van Persie’
Man Utd transfers: David Moyes says Wayne Rooney won't be sold as the striker is cover for team-mate Robin van Persie
David Moyes says he needs to keep Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney in the event of Robin van Persie suffering an injury.
The 27-year-old Englishman has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford this summer after having a transfer request rejected by the Red Devils in May.
“Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we’ll need him,” said Moyes.
Moyes also believes Rooney’s versatility makes the England international an important asset to the club, but stressed he won’t be held to ransom by the forward.
“Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. It’s going to be a time to see how I work with Wayne.
“Manchester United isn’t about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team – the club.
“I won’t allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the football team, because that’s the heart of it.”
Moyes added that he is not under pressure to cash in on Rooney, who still has two years remaining on his current Red Devils deal.
“Maybe in a year’s time we might have to look at something else,” he added.
“The first year I have to get a chance to see the players and how best to use them.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Persie set to return for Man Utd
- Back Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs to win at 10/1!
- Rodgers: Markovic & Moreno available for Man City trip
- Van Gaal: Now I'm the devil of Manchester
- Giles: I wouldn't sign Balotelli for free