- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
Marco van Ginkel: José Mourinho calls convinced me to join Chelsea
Marco van Ginkel has revealed that a personal phone call from José Mourinho helped to convince him to join Chelsea
Marco van Ginkel has revealed that a number of personal phone calls from José Mourinho helped to convince him to join Chelsea this summer.
The 20-year-old signed a five-year contract with the Blues on Friday following weeks over speculation linking him with a transfer to Stamford Bridge.
And the Netherlands international, who made 33 Eredivisie appearances last season and scored eight goals as Vitesse Arnhem finished fourth, revealed that he spoke to the Portuguese coach before finalising his move to west London.
“It [pre-season training] will be the first time I meet him in person,” Van Ginkel told Algemeen Dagblad.
“We spoke a few times on the phone. That was important. It’s good to hear that a coach really wants you. That convinced me.
“The story around Chelsea was around for a longer period. But in the last few days it became really concrete.”
“I played three years at Vitesse, but the Premier League is very good, and I will enjoy playing with these players with this experience.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck