- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd’s Louis van Gaal needs to show respect, blasts Liverpool legend
- Paul Scholes questions Man Utd’s move for Daley Blind
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Tottenham give latest injury update ahead of Liverpool clash
- Photos: Sánchez all smiles as Arsenal gear up for Leicester trip
Marco van Ginkel: José Mourinho calls convinced me to join Chelsea
Marco van Ginkel has revealed that a personal phone call from José Mourinho helped to convince him to join Chelsea
Marco van Ginkel has revealed that a number of personal phone calls from José Mourinho helped to convince him to join Chelsea this summer.
The 20-year-old signed a five-year contract with the Blues on Friday following weeks over speculation linking him with a transfer to Stamford Bridge.
And the Netherlands international, who made 33 Eredivisie appearances last season and scored eight goals as Vitesse Arnhem finished fourth, revealed that he spoke to the Portuguese coach before finalising his move to west London.
“It [pre-season training] will be the first time I meet him in person,” Van Ginkel told Algemeen Dagblad.
“We spoke a few times on the phone. That was important. It’s good to hear that a coach really wants you. That convinced me.
“The story around Chelsea was around for a longer period. But in the last few days it became really concrete.”
“I played three years at Vitesse, but the Premier League is very good, and I will enjoy playing with these players with this experience.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTO: Three Liverpool legends meet at Bayern clash
- Twitter reacts as Chelsea beat Everton
- Everton 3 Chelsea 6: Player ratings
- Fazio available to face Liverpool
- Wilshere ready for 'tough' Leicester game