- Man Utd transfers: ‘Marco Reus rejected Red Devils move’
- Transfer round-up: Di Maria to sign for Man Utd, Arsenal target Manolas
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Tottenham transfers: ‘Mateo Musacchio set to snub Spurs’
- Arsenal’s Calum Chambers looks like top defender, says Liverpool legend
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Brendan Rodgers needs to sign striker to win the title’
Tottenham transfers: ‘Vlad Chiriches will thrive in the Premier League’
Tottenham transfers: Romania boss Victor Piturca says Vlad Chiriches would have no problem adapting to life in England
Romania boss Victor Piturca believes Vlad Chiriches would have no problem adapting to life in the Premier League as the defender edges closer to a transfer to Tottenham.
Spurs are thought to be eyeing up a move for the Steaua Bucharest centre-half, with the north Londoners said to be readying a £6.95m bid for the 23-year-old.
Tottenham have stepped up their interest in the Romania international after Jan Vertonghen was carried off on a stretcher in a 3-1 defeat by Sunderland in Hong Kong last week.
“He is a great player,” Piturca told Dolce Sport. “I hope he can establish himself in England with Tottenham.
“We have had many examples of players who have failed to establish themselves and have lost their place in the national team.
“It will not be easy, even if he is extremely good. I am sure he will be able to but it will not be easy because opponents in England are extremely good and must perform very well from game to game. His quality is tremendous.
“I want him to play well and bring that to the national team – we need to get good results this autumn to qualify for the World Cup.”
Piturca’s comments come after Chiriches’s agent Ioan Becali revealed that Tottenham are on the verge of signing the defender.
“I don’t know if there’s a deal with Tottenham but they sent an offer of £6.9m for Chiriches, which is what Steaua wanted,” said Becali.
“Steaua have to decide whether they agree or not. Steaua had offers of £6m and £6.5m but did not accept and said they only want £6.9m. Now the offer is on the table.
“I talked to the people at Roma [and] we were told that they cannot offer more than £5.5m or £6m, so we were allowed to talk to the people at Tottenham.
“Additionally, Tottenham are a good friend of mine. André Villas-Boas was in Bucharest a few years ago as my guest for a few days.
“Chiriches will not have trouble adjusting. He has been very well studied by Villas-Boas and his men told me that English football suits him better.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Wenger plays down chances of more signings
- Besiktas 0 Arsenal 0: Three talking points
- Carragher: Chambers looks like top defender
- Wenger fumes over Ramsey red card as Arsenal held