- Guinness Pro12: Connacht surprise season ticket holders
- Jason Robinson backs Sam Burgess to jump from League to Union
- Guinness Pro12: Adam Jones excited for future after Blues switch
- Guinness Pro12: Jones eyes starting spot after penning Glasgow deal
- Aviva Premiership: Will Helu eyeing London Wasps starting spot
- Aviva Premiership: Jerry Sexton relishing Exeter Chiefs trial
Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips hints at international retirement
Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips admits he may have to retire from international rugby to prolong his club career with Bayonne
Mike Phillips admits he may have to call time on his international career to prolong his club involvement.
Phillips, 30, played a key role in helping the British & Irish Lions to a first series win in 16 years on Saturday and will return to French club Bayonne where he has one remaining year on his contract.
He has 77 Wales caps to his name, as well as five with the Lions, and was instrumental in guiding the Red Dragons to Six Nations Grand Slams in 2008 and 2012 as well has helping them retain their crown last year.
And Phillips admits he will think long and hard before deciding if he wants to continue on the international stage.
“It may well be that if I want to play on at club level, I’ll have to call time on my international career in the not too distant future,” Phillips said.
“It’s something I’m going to think long and hard about and I’ve got some decisions to make in the next year.
“If [Saturday's match] is to be the last game of international rugby that I play, then what a way to bow out.
“Added to that, Wales fought back to win the Six Nations last season. Who knows? I’m just glad it’s the end of the season now and I can enjoy it.
“I won’t be on the next Lions tour, but five caps and three wins? I’m happy with that.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Connacht surprise season ticket holders
- Jones excited after Blues switch
- Jones signs one-year Glasgow deal
- Pivac pleased with Scarlets's performance
- Williams admits pre-season nerves