- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
Wenger gives Arsenal injury update on Koscielny and Vermaelen
Arsène Wenger hopes Laurent Koscielny will be fit to face Fenerbahce next week after defender suffered cut above his eye
Arsène Wenger is hopeful Laurent Koscielny will be fit to face Fenerbahce next week after the Arsenal defender suffered a nasty-looking head injury in the Gunners’ win in Turkey on Wednesday.
The France international was substituted in the 33rd minute during the 3-0 Champions League play-off first leg victory after being caught in the face by a stray boot from Pierre Webo.
However, the Arsenal boss is hopeful that the 27-year-old will be ready for the return leg at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.
“He’s like a boxer who had a hard fight the night before; lots of blood around his eye and a deep cut,” Wenger told Arsenal’s website.
“He is suspended for Saturday anyway but let’s hope he recovers for next Tuesday [against Fenerbahce]. It will be short because the cut is very deep. Hopefully it will be alright.”
Wenger also revealed that Thomas Vermaelen is still a “good few weeks” from being ready to return to action after the Belgian was sidelined with a back problem.
“He is out running,” said Wenger of Vermaelen. “He’s on the pitches again. But there’s still a good few weeks to go for him to get his fitness.
“We have Nacho [Monreal] back and Thomas soon back so that’s all good news for us.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream