- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
David James: Liverpool will get fourth place this season
Former Liverpool goalkeeper David James believes Brendan Rodgers' men will finish in fourth place this season
David James believes Liverpool will finish in fourth place this season thanks to Brendan Rodgers’ shrewd acquisitions over the past six months.
The 40-year-old snapped up Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge in the January transfer window before signing Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Simon Mignolet and Kolo Touré this summer, as well as Aly Cissokho on loan.
And former Liverpool goalkeeper James was left particularly impressed by Aspas and Coutinho following a trip to the club’s training ground on Friday, and the ex-shot stopper reckons the Reds have the quality to secure Champions League football.
“I’ve been impressed,” James told Liverpool’s website.
“Even with the lack of Suárez in the side there has been a lot of diversity in the team, which I’ve been impressed with. The young players as well look good.
“I went to Melwood on Friday and what got me most was the planning for the future, and I was very, very impressed.
“I think Liverpool will get fourth. I think they can do it. With the diversity they have, bringing in the likes of Iago Aspas and Philippe Coutinho – two very talented players.
“Daniel Sturridge as well, who last season I thought was Brendan Rodgers’ best acquisition.
“The other thing that’s pleasing is the amount of youngsters who were getting the opportunity to play last season. Forty-odd starting appearances for teenagers, which is phenomenal in the modern age of football.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd