- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet has great potential, says David James
Former Liverpool goalkeeper David James believes current Reds shot stopper Simon Mignolet has "great potential"
David James believes Liverpool’s new goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has “great potential”.
Liverpool’s long-term first-choice shot stopper Pepe Reina was sent on a season-long loan to Napoli after Rodgers signed 25-year-old Mignolet in a £9m deal from Sunderland earlier in the transfer window.
And former Reds goalkeeper James has been impressed by Mignolet and expects the Belgian to shine at Anfield.
“I’m impressed with him [Mignolet],” James told Liverpool’s website. “He had a very good year with Sunderland last year – he was player of the year there last season.
“I’ve always thought Pepe Reina was a top drawer goalkeeper. For whatever reason he wasn’t performing at his very best in the last couple of years and it’s a statement to replace that position.
“Simon is on the up, he’s a young man and has great potential.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Photos: Van Gaal makes Shaw train alone
- Mignolet: Origi can become top striker
- Van Gaal: I inherited broken Man Utd squad
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move