- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Man Utd transfers: Thomas Müller confirms Red Devils snub
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds struggling to attract quality players’
Liverpool transfers: Mark Lawrenson says the Reds are struggling to attract "quality" players without Champions League football
Mark Lawrenson believes Liverpool are struggling to attract quality players after failing to qualify for the Champions League last season.
The Reds are reported to have secured Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan deal on Friday, and the Merseyside outfit have also been linked with a swoop for Anzhi Makhachkala’s Willian.
But former Reds defender Lawrenson is concerned Liverpool haven’t got sufficient quality in their squad to challenge for a top-four finish.
“Having no Champions League football is really hurting Liverpool,” Lawrenson wrote in his Liverpool Daily Post column.
“Looking at their squad at present, would you say it has enough to finish in the top four?
“You’d have to say it hasn’t.
“Liverpool need new quality players to get into the Champions League. But they are struggling to attract such players… because they aren’t in the
“It’s a vicious circle.
“All the teams around Liverpool have strengthened, and they are going to be strengthened even further between now and the transfer window closing on September 2.”
He added: “This was always going to be a big summer for Brendan Rodgers, and he’s hit something of a stumbling block.
“Yes, he has had to balance the books a bit –probably a bit more than he expected – but surely the last thing Rodgers will want is to have a transfer surplus but with nobody worth spending it on.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Seven players who could rescue Man Utd
- Van Persie 'looking forward' to Man Utd return
- No Destra-Torres swap deal, says agent
- VIDEO: Mourinho completes Ice Bucket Challenge
- Balotelli set to complete Liverpool move