- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Wojciech Szczesny welcomes Arsenal signing David Ospina
- Gareth Bale always spoke highly of Tottenham, reveals Ben Davies
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd monitor Di Maria, Arsenal chase Costa
Liverpool’s Martin Kelly aims for full fitness in ‘six to eight weeks’
Liverpool defender Martin Kelly says he hopes to be back to peak fitness in "six to eight weeks"
Martin Kelly says he wants to get as many Liverpool Under-21 games under his belt as the defender aims to break into the Reds first-team.
The 23-year-old has missed the past 11 months with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament which the right-back suffered in a 2-1 loss to Manchester United at Anfield last season.
The England international captained Liverpool’s Under-21 side to a 4-2 victory over the Red Devils on Sunday night, and Kelly hopes to be back to peak fitness in “six to eight weeks”.
“It was good to get the first 90 minutes under my belt after so long,” Kelly told Liverpool’s website.
“I played last week in a behind closed doors friendly but to get 90 minutes for the U21s was superb for me and my fitness.
“I just want to get as many games in as I can. I missed so much last season and it’s difficult mentally coming back from 11 months out and knowing you
are not where you were last pre-season, because I started the last pre-season flying and that’s where I want to get back to.
“It’s all the hard work that starts now and in the next six to eight weeks I should get back to that fitness.”
Kelly will be targeting a place in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for next summer’s World Cup after being included in the Three Lions manager’s travelling part for Euro 2012.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Lovren can't wait to link up with Liverpool squad
- Rodgers: Lovren an important Liverpool signing
- Liverpool complete £20m Lovren signing
- Arsenal target Griezmann set to join Atletico