- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Arsenal haven’t gambled on Calum Chambers, says Southampton legend
- Photos: Liverpool unveil new signing Divock Origi
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
Man Utd transfers: ‘Red Devils don’t need a marquee signing’
Man Utd transfers: Former Red Devils goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel believes the club don't need to make a marquee signing
Peter Schmeichel believes Manchester United should be wary of landing a marquee signing just for the sake of making a statement this summer.
And Schmeichel, who won five Premier League titles with the Red Devils, reckons the reigning Premier League champions should only sign the right player to improve the squad and not spend big to satisfy the club’s fans.
“I would never bring in a player to make a statement,” Schmeichel said.
“Maybe with a new manager and a new chief executive they feel a need to tell the fans Manchester United still have the power and money and can still sign the players.
“That is important because there are a lot of fans out there who are unsure about how financially strong Manchester United are and how committed the owners are to spend the money that is being created by the club.
“But the players have to be an improvement. If they are not of the right calibre you stay away from it.
“You don’t sign a player for the sake of it.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Drogba: Fabregas will realise it is better with Chelsea
- Heskey: Liverpool would be happy with top four
- 'Sneijder set to stay at Galatasaray'
- Liverpool unveil new signing Origi
- Origi: Mignolet says Liverpool is perfect for me