- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
- ‘Rene Meulensteen return would be great news for Man Utd’
Man Utd transfers: Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable, says Peter Schmeichel
Man Utd transfers: Peter Schmeichel believes Red Devils striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable
Peter Schmeichel believes Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable – and has urged his former club not to sell to their Premier League title rivals Chelsea.
The England international has been linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer transfer window after the Blues submitted two unsuccessful bids for the Red Devils forward.
But Schmeichel, who won four Premier League titles at United, reckons the Red Devils would find it impossible to replace Rooney if the former Everton youth graduate quit Old Trafford.
“They’re trying to buy the best players in the world. They don’t sell the best players in the world,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
“I cannot see why someone like Wayne Rooney should leave Manchester United and possibly go and strengthen a team like Chelsea or even Arsenal.
“Why would you do that? Why would you give away your best player? No-one can replace Wayne Rooney. There’s no-one else out there who can play the way that he plays.
“We’ve been searching for a midfielder this summer but it’s not an easy thing. It’s so difficult to come in and actually prove what’s already there.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photo: Suárez bids Liverpool team-mates farewell
- PHOTO: Sturridge wishes himself happy birthday
- PHOTO: Suárez gives Gerrard signed Barcelona shirt
- 'Falcao would have slotted in Arsenal side'
- Twitter reacts to reports Falcao will join Man Utd