- Aaron Ramsey thrilled to see Theo Walcott return to Arsenal training
- Photos: Alexis Sánchez joins Arsenal squad ahead of Emirates Cup
- No player too big for Arsenal, Arsène Wenger tells Liverpool captain
- Photos: Jack Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere in best shape for years, declares Arsène Wenger
Man Utd transfers: Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable, says Peter Schmeichel
Man Utd transfers: Peter Schmeichel believes Red Devils striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable
Peter Schmeichel believes Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable – and has urged his former club not to sell to their Premier League title rivals Chelsea.
The England international has been linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer transfer window after the Blues submitted two unsuccessful bids for the Red Devils forward.
But Schmeichel, who won four Premier League titles at United, reckons the Red Devils would find it impossible to replace Rooney if the former Everton youth graduate quit Old Trafford.
“They’re trying to buy the best players in the world. They don’t sell the best players in the world,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
“I cannot see why someone like Wayne Rooney should leave Manchester United and possibly go and strengthen a team like Chelsea or even Arsenal.
“Why would you do that? Why would you give away your best player? No-one can replace Wayne Rooney. There’s no-one else out there who can play the way that he plays.
“We’ve been searching for a midfielder this summer but it’s not an easy thing. It’s so difficult to come in and actually prove what’s already there.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Rodríguez urges Cuadrado to join Barcelona
- 'Van Gaal won't make same mistakes as Moyes'
- Lamela hoping for 'big season' at Spurs
- Ramsey thrilled to see Walcott return to training
- No player too big for Arsenal, Wenger tells Gerrard