- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Liverpool transfers: Serge Aurier reveals talks over future
- Arsenal transfers: AC Milan admit Mario Balotelli could leave
Man Utd transfers: Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable, says Peter Schmeichel
Man Utd transfers: Peter Schmeichel believes Red Devils striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable
Peter Schmeichel believes Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is irreplaceable – and has urged his former club not to sell to their Premier League title rivals Chelsea.
The England international has been linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer transfer window after the Blues submitted two unsuccessful bids for the Red Devils forward.
But Schmeichel, who won four Premier League titles at United, reckons the Red Devils would find it impossible to replace Rooney if the former Everton youth graduate quit Old Trafford.
“They’re trying to buy the best players in the world. They don’t sell the best players in the world,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
“I cannot see why someone like Wayne Rooney should leave Manchester United and possibly go and strengthen a team like Chelsea or even Arsenal.
“Why would you do that? Why would you give away your best player? No-one can replace Wayne Rooney. There’s no-one else out there who can play the way that he plays.
“We’ve been searching for a midfielder this summer but it’s not an easy thing. It’s so difficult to come in and actually prove what’s already there.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- New signings possible, says Pochettino
- Liverpool's Rodgers coy on Rémy deal
- Fàbregas reveals Mourinho visit
- PHOTOS: Beckham drops in ahead of Man Utd training
- PHOTOS: Liverpool training at Fenway Park