- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Frank Lampard: Becoming Chelsea’s record goal-scorer was huge
Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard admits becoming the west London side's record goal scorer was a "really big thing"
Frank Lampard has admitted becoming Chelsea’s record goal-scorer was a “really huge thing” for the veteran Blues midfielder.
The 35-year-old recently earned his 100th England cap after starting the goalless draw with Ukraine in Kiev as the Three Lions edged closer to booking their spot at the 2014 World Cup.
However, looking back at his achievements this year, the Chelsea vice-captain picked out the moment when he scored his 203rd Blues goal and eclipsed Bobby Tambling’s record at Villa Park in May as a treasured moment.
“I’m quit level-headed with those things these days,” said Lampard, who signed a one-year Chelsea deal in May.
“I am really proud to have got 100 caps and, when I look back at it, it will be a huge honour for me – one of the greatest.
“However, this year I have been very fortunate with all the things that have happened. I have to say, the Chelsea goals record was the really huge thing
for me this year because of the build-up to it.
“In terms of the celebration, that was a major thing for me. Obviously, I think the 100 caps will be a really big thing for me looking back.
“However, at the moment, it is a really important time for England and we are concentrating on qualifying for the World Cup.
“I’ve been level-headed about it, which is not to say I take it in my stride, but I just go in and work hard every day and, when those rewards come along, it is brilliant.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place