- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
Man Utd’s Wayne Rooney: I’m great friends with Robin van Persie
Wayne Rooney insists that he is "great friends" with fellow Manchester United striker Robin van Persie
Wayne Rooney insists that he is “great friends” with fellow Manchester United striker Robin van Persie and says the pair have a good working relationship.
There had been suggestions that Rooney was unhappy at being dropped into a deeper role for the Red Devils following Van Persie’s arrival at United from Arsenal last summer.
But the 27-year-old striker has moved to end such talk, insisting that the pair enjoy a good relationship both on and off the pitch.
“I have seen things said over the summer, but Robin and me are friends off the pitch,” Rooney is quoted as saying by the Daily Express.
“There is no problem between me and Robin at all. We are great friends and we want to help each other and be successful.
“The manager has made it clear that he wants one up and one behind and, whatever way round that is, it doesn’t matter to me as long as one is always filling in behind and helping out the midfield.”
Rooney scored twice as Manchester United kicked off their Champions League group-stage campaign with a win against Bayer Leverkusen at Old Trafford.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings
- Torres is staying at Chelsea, insists Mourinho
- Moreno should reject Liverpool, says Aspas
- Di Maria welcome at PSG, says Cavani
- Juventus want Arsenal target Rabiot